Davids Island in New Rochelle dates back to 1861 and the Civil War when it was used by the War Department as DeCamp General hospital. In the years that followed it was used by the Army. By l948 it was transferred to the Air Force for housing and logistical support. The deed was conveyed to the City of New Rochelle in l967.
In 2005 The Historical Architectural Survey and National Register Evaluation and further surveys and studies in 2006 had designated 19 buildings for "on-site preservation measures." Five meetings were held in 2007 with "interested parties" to discuss alternatives for preservation. But in the end of 2007 the New Rochelle City Council voted to demolish all the buildings. This was less than a month before three new council members were to be installed.
New Rochelle, unlike Yonkers, has no Landmarks Preservation Board. If any structure 75 years or older is slated for demolition, the Landmarks Board must review the building using mandated criteria. This Preservation Board (appointed by the Mayor of Yonkers with the approval of Council) was in the news lately because the Mayor favored a charter revision to give the Planning Board power to approve the Preservation Board's designations before they went to City Council. Presently their designations go directly to City Council for approval.