Main Street in New Rochelle was closed off again today after a report of fuel fumes at 457 Main Street, the site of a hair salon. A reader sent along these photos. Thanks! Keep them coming.
Talk of the Sound was first on the scene last April 19th when an explosion rocked a West End neighborhood in what was initially considered by many in the press and the public to have been car bomb detonated on Union Avenue in New Rochelle. Police called the explosion an accident and dismissed concerns of a car bomb or any connection to organized crime. Police stated that there were no known prior threats against the car owner.
At a press conference the following day, police said they believed the explosion was caused by an air-fuel mixture being ignited when Francesco Perri, of Eastchester, the owner of the vehicle, lit a cigarette. A melted red plastic gasoline container was found at the scene which smelled like gasoline. The NRPD declined to comment further pending results of an analysis by the ATF Laboratory in Ammendale, MD. That analysis has since been completed and largely confirms the preliminary conclusions.Read more
A car fire on Main Street between Lawton Street and North Avenue near the Rainbow Fish Market at 382 Main Street shut down traffic on the busy thoroughfare for about an hour this afternoon as firefighters responded to the scene and quickly brought the fire under control. The fire filled the sky around Main Street and Lawton and was visible a half-mile away.
Below are photos from the scene taken by Robert Cox. Video shot by a local merchant using his iPhone. Some additional photos are being sent from a Blackberry; we will update when we get them.
In the video you can see the flames leaping up from the car. Below is a photo of the owner of the car who stood nearby and watched as her car burned and was then doused with water. She appeared to be uninjured and no ambulances were brought into the fire scene so it appears there were no injuries.
A man called the New Rochelle Fire Department to declare he was going to set his room on fire and promptly did so sending firefighters scrambling to respond to another fire at the New Rochelle Manor Home For Adults at 41 Lockwood Avenue.
Firefighters responded quickly and got control of the fire, mostly contents in the room. Residents were not evacuated on what is a cold night with temperatures in the thirties. No injuries were reported.Read more
As part of a comprehensive program to reduce youth access to alcohol, New Rochelle FOCUS (Families Organized to Curb the Use of Substances) funded an alcohol enforcement project with the New Rochelle Police Department. During the month of September, the PACT and Special Investigations Units of the New Rochelle Police Department conducted a series of alcohol compliance checks in off premise alcohol retailers (e.g. deli’s, liquor stores, groceries, etc) in the City over a three-week period.
During a compliance check, a person under the age of 21 enters a store and attempts to purchase alcohol using a valid identification that clearly indicates that the person in underage. The goal of the compliance check is to ensure that alcohol outlets are complying with the law to refuse sales to minors.Read more
New Rochelle, NY -- The owner of a single-family home located at 867 Weaver Avenue in New Rochelle is due in New Rochelle City Court on December 10th to explain his turning a single-family North End home into what amounted to an illegal Single-Room Occupancy hotel, long outlawed in New Rochelle.
John Deraffele, the owner, was served with five appearance tickets covering five major violations: (1) building permit required for 2 sheds and deck in rear of property; (2) building permit required for finishing third floor with full bath; (3) use of a one-family dwelling as a three-family dwelling; (4) use of third floor as a dwelling is not permitted; (5) use of second floor as a dwelling is not permitted.
The building inspector report obtained by Talk of the Sound shows the house had been converted into a boarding house with the second floor basically an SRO hotel for five college students.
A floor by floor summary of the building inspector report follows (portions were redacted in original):Read more
New Rochelle firefighters responded to a fire overnight at 43 Bayard Street on the same street as the YMCA, near the Home Depot between Weyman Avenue and Drake Avenue. The call came in about 4 am.
The house (above, right) is a 3 family home owned by Edward J. Gillespie of Scarsdale, NY.
Erika Tarantal of WNBC-TV 4 broke the story:
erika4newyork: At a house fire in New Rochelle...no serious injuries. If you happen to smell a BBQ later today you're probably just downwind from me.
Talk of the Sound has a photographer on the scene now. Photos a little later this morning.
BTW, if you live in the area and took photos in the early hours please send them along (see CONTACT link above)
UPDATE: Photos from Bayard Street
For those who have been complaining about the ticket blitz and increased permit fees you have your answer -- parking in the lots is for suckers. Just start parking on the sidewalks instead!
An alert reader sent along this photo of a truck that has been parked on a public sidewalk for almost a week without a citation. As can be seen the truck is not only blocking the sidewalk but the handicap access as well. The truck is sticking out of the
Hyundai dealership U.S. 1 Auto Sales on Route 1 across from the Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin' Donuts.
UPDATE: Ted Tanney, owner of U.S. 1 Auto Sales tells Talk of the Sound he did not receive any complaints about the truck from residents or NRPD but would have it moved off the sidewalk by the close of business today (Tuesday). Tanney said he wanted residents living near his business to be happy and that in the future he hoped people in the area would call him with any concerns. He pointed out that Judge Preston Scher was one of his customers. Moments later Scher drove onto the lot and came into the office.
Whether you have a concern or want to buy a car, Tanney can be reached at 914-636-4439.Read more