Recent comments

• Trangucci: Leaf Bagging Not a 'Green Project'   8 weeks 3 days ago

Frankly I think bagging leaves or mulching to be the responsibility of the Home Owner who has the property. I have about 10 huge oaks on my property and I am not opposed to mulching, composting and mulching on my property. However in the right of way there are a number of City owned Oaks that impact my life and I do want the city to be responsible for their trees in the right of way.
    In many cases the City Trees have been neglected as the City as usual does not have the funds. There are thousands of City Owner trees that need pruning, removal and topping off to protect the homeowners.
    My plan is to do an assessment of City own leaves and have the City come and pick up their leaves off my property. I should have a cold day in hell getting it done.

• Trangucci: Leaf Bagging Not a 'Green Project'   8 weeks 3 days ago

Brian,

I think you could start most of your comments with "I don’t understand why..." because you seem incapable of accepting the notion that someone would could have a different point of view on an issue and not be some evil Republican working for Dick Cheney and Karl Rove.

At the hearing, I spoke in favor of Mayor Bramson's idea of bagging leaves for pick up. Like everything, however, there are legitimate arguments on the other side of the issue which, as is often the case, you tend to dismiss as one-dimensional.

Last I recall you live in an apartment and so are not impacted by the cost to bag leaves so you might want to make disclosure that you have no skin in this particular game and can afford to be dismissive of the financial impact on homeowners.

I heard three main arguments at the hearing:

1. That this is another example of the City seeking to balance its books by transferring costs to taxpayers with the one hand and using the "savings" to spend money elsewhere. In other words, the City will not spend less, they will spend the same AND taxpayers will have new costs.

2. The City's curbside loose-leaf pick up is more efficient and cost-effective than lots of little pickups at each property PLUS picking up the bags themselves.

3. The costs will be absorbed by landscapers whose customers will not pay extra to have their leaves bags but this will take time and cost money for the landscapers.

You say you do not know WHO Lou thinks will be angry about the leaf-bagging then say "those people are basically anti-environmental".

So, do you know who these people are or not. If you do not know WHO the people are who are angry about the leaf-bagging how can you claim to know ANYTHING about them and then go so far as to make a broad sweeping statement like 'those people are basically anti-environmental".

You need to stop living in a cartoon world where anyone who does not agree with you, basically a liberal ideologue, is characterized.

I would suggest to you that many people who are unhappy about the leaf-bagging, as they are homeowners, do a lot more in a given month to take steps to protect the environment then you do in a year of living in an apartment.

• Trangucci: Leaf Bagging Not a 'Green Project'   8 weeks 4 days ago

No New Rochelle Councilperson has any constituents in Scarsdale proper or in Eastchester proper, except for those few constituents whose property exists both in New Rochelle while also in another municipality. As it is, Scarsdale PO in Golden Horseshoe, is itself in New Rochelle proper. The 10583 zip code is for those addresses north of Stratton Road.

USPS letter carriers deliver this mail when he "feels like" doing it, on Huguenot St too, including certified mail and notices thereof. Local USPS service has greatly deteriorated over the last decade.

I don’t understand why Councilman Trangucci said that there are going to be many angry people. Does he think people are angry about having to bag their leaves? Well that’s too bad, as they should do it even if not required by law. Or does Trangucci think people would be angry because those people are basically anti-environmental, in which case what is needed is better education.

Alternatively, is Councilman Trangucci’s problem, that as a ‘Green Improvement’, this plan simply does not go far enough. If so, I applaud his efforts to make New Rochelle’s policies more environmental.

• BREAKING NEWS: New Rochelle Expected to Name Brian Osborne as new Schools Superintendent   9 weeks 10 hours ago

We wish you well in your effort to lead the New Rochelle School District. Diversity does not describe New Rochelle Schools, but Pluriversality does. We are from many countries, with varied cultural norms yet we co-exist on the margins in New Rochelle even though we "Latinos" are almost 45% of the school population (much larger than the 5% of the school district you currently work in). I am not sure which of the 20 countries in Latin America you have "experience" in, but I am hopeful that that experience will help us all. We are here to work with you always. Nuestro futuro es su futuro. Bienvenido!

Martin Sanchez

• New Rochelle Memorial Day 2014 - PHOTOS   9 weeks 1 day ago

I would like to commend Peter Parente, the NR Memorial Day Parade Committee, all businesses that contributed & the City of NR for bringing back the parade & festivities to honor & remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Isn't it amazing that none of the council members who protested the raising of the Gadsden Flag at the NR Armory objected to the Gadsden Flag in the color-guard and being flown at Hudson Park? The Gadsden Flag is a prominent part of the memorial service and seen flying proudly in pictures with City Manager Strome, Councilman Trangucci and helicopter personnel.

Maybe their indifference is because 2015 is an election year and they would prefer NR voters forget about the pending lawsuit.

• Proposed Change for New Rochelle Leaf Bagging Fails   9 weeks 6 days ago

Many are concerned about the workload for the men who would have to lift so many heavy bags of leaves and may consequently end up on disability. I would be and am concerned for the safety of our manpower as well. I was OSHA trained and was a distribution supervisor that dealt with driver safety training. There are three men on the truck. I would rather look to add seasonal workers when the load is too much to handle than what we currently have now. Three men driving around town with not much to do because many of the gardeners and residents become lazy and start putting the leaves right to the curb rather than continuing to bag while there is still pick up every week. The workers never complain when they don’t have enough work when they finish their routes. We also lack a time management system to track the time and manpower usage and efficiencies. We have new management; we need new contracts and a new work environment for management and the rank and file. I would say that we have seen some changes since Alex Tergis started.

If bagging started at the beginning of the season there wouldn’t be as many bags to pick up each week. Granted, some homes have more than others and adjustments in routine would need to be done by the home owners and gardeners alike.

What do you see now at the beginning of the season as you drive through New Rochelle? Seasonal Clean-Up! For several weeks now, gardeners and residents have been doing spring clean-up and bagging the yard waste or the gardeners are putting the yard waste in the back of their trucks. Take a look while you drive around town. Gardeners and residents would be required to do the same in the fall, no major difference. To make sure, we should monitor the yard waste produced in the spring and compare it to the fall numbers and see what the two seasons produce. Then see the difference and make some choices.

We need to work through this with upfront communication and transparency so the public doesn’t get bamboozled by the City of New Rochelle or The Gardeners. Any cost savings need to go right to the taxpayers and not be disguised as yet another fee in lieu of taxes. As stated, put the savings in a fund that would be there in escrow if you will, in case the plan doesn’t work and expenses need to be adjusted. When the plan is final and up and running as a proven program, use the savings to offset the costs to taxpayers.

Besides, you can do your own yard work without the gardeners, your wallet and your health would be much better off! Happy Memorial Day:):)

• School Board Member Naomi Brickel Endorses Jeffrey Hastie   10 weeks 2 days ago

One of the many reasons I did not continue on the School Board was because it was, in my opinion, a near criminal enterprise propagated by the then Superintendent Organisciak and long-time board members Polow and Lacher. Any effort at transparency was met with a harsh look, a denial for discussion and with repetitive admonishment to the extent that when I had something original to say or question, they even had Mayor Bramson call me to curtail my behaviour in a cursed-filled monologue. Certainly ruined my day at the then PBS Children's Programming Conference I was attending.

So Good riddance to Dee Polow. David Lacher - man you have got to go. Have you no shame?

Jeff Hastie has done many things I wanted to. Vote for Jeff. Vote for honesty and transparency.

Martin Sanchez

Your statement clearly underscores just how toxic the bizarre alliances and methods the board has operated under throughout the years. We ( and I mean the public) have for all too long been frustrated by the lack of discussion regarding the many " isolated incidents" and gamesmanship exhibited by a board more interested in if their shoes look shined rather than raising the issues brought before them. We commend your voice at the last board meeting. This is the type of discussion sorely needed if we are ever hope to see our education system exceed our expectations. Sunlight truly us the best disinfectant. We salute Jeff err y and your advocating for the greater good of all students and in so, creating a system that would be considered beyond reproach. Whether we agree on everything or not pales when compared to the expectation of lively and transparent debate. Lately there have been some serious character issues that some would hope would never see the light o f2f day. The board needs to be held to a higher standard if our confidence is ever to be restored. I believe the efforts of you and Jeffery are a positive step in that direction. Little by little change will occur under your stewardship and we look forward to your efforts. Thank you and know this, you will have our support.

• Proposed Change for New Rochelle Leaf Bagging Fails   10 weeks 2 days ago

I have read a number of articles regarding the new leaf law in New Rochelle and there are a few things which are unclear. I have read that bagged leaves will be picked up once every two weeks and have also read that they will be picked up once a week. Do we know which of these statements is correct? If it is every two weeks, does that include all other yard waste? I have read that yard waste and leaves should not be comingled so I assume normal yard waste will be handle differently. Is that correct? I have also read leaf bags can only be put out at the curb on the day they are to be picked up. Does that mean we will have to find a place to store the leaf bags on our property and then haul them out to the curb on pick up day? That may have been an easy thing to do for a homeowner when only one yard waste bag was involved but thirty or more bags could prove to be quite a chore during the fall especially when they are wet. I know for myself it will prove to be an interesting physical and physics problem since I have less than three feet of curb space and stacking thirty bags may go well into the middle of the street.

I realize there is an option to mulch the leaves in place and it is unclear to me that anyone did any research on how this will affect the deer tick population. I am sure most people know that deer ticks live under leaf litter because it is moist. To control deer ticks it is recommended to keep lawns free of leaf litter. Has anyone checked with the CDC or other authorities with regards to leaving leaf litter on our lawns and the potential to increase the deer tick population?

• New Rochelle Schools Prepare for Yellow Bus Strike Monday   10 weeks 4 days ago

The drivers and company have come to a agreement not to strike sorry kids but school is on.

• BREAKING NEWS: Off-Duty NYPD Officer Fires Off 6 Rounds in New Rochelle Parking Lot, Arrest Made   12 weeks 3 days ago

The problem is with crazy off-duty NYC Policemen.

That's what we need protection from.

And no doubt the same NYC Policemen are even crazier when on duty.

• BREAKING NEWS: Off-Duty NYPD Officer Fires Off 6 Rounds in New Rochelle Parking Lot, Arrest Made   12 weeks 4 days ago

Did somebody declare Lincoln Avenue the shooting range? Remind me to wear a bullet proof vest when I drive down Lincoln Avenue.

• David Lacher Email to Board of Education Members Prior to Talk of the Sound Story on Medical Insurance Debts   14 weeks 15 hours ago

Aaron Lazar in his Elements of an Apology noted that a successful apology includes each of these four elements:

 Accepting personal responsibility; acknowledge the specific offense and the pain it caused and clearly take personal and unconditional responsibility for the offense. Acknowledge directly to each of the injured parties your role in causing the damage and their suffering,

 Showing Remorse; humbly and sincerely describe the painful regret you feel for committing the offense. Look backward to express your regret. Then demonstrate forbearance by looking forward to describe the lessons you have learned and the changes you have made to ensure nothing like it will ever happen again.

 Offering an explanation; honestly, candidly, and simply describe why the offense happened. If it was inexcusable, simply say so.

 Making reparations; fully repair the loss if that is possible, otherwise ask: “Is there anything I can do to make this up to you?”

What I see in David Lacher’s email and video is an ineffective apology received. An insincere attempt to patch things up, a failure to acknowledge his responsibility, he attempts to explain away his actions, a failure to acknowledge his understanding of the injury to the trust he caused, or any of several other omissions causes his apology to fail. He pretends to remain hurt by the original offense, and now he hurts even more because he tried to make himself feel better and manipulate us without addressing the needs of the community. Yes, in his comments he says he will not be driven or step down. We acknowledge this. So, are we to forget and tomorrow is the same as today? Mr. Quinn continues with his job wallowing in the comfort of scratching his belly with the satisfaction of knowing that he has bitten the bullet again!

“Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean.”
    ― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

David Lacher’s note is lengthy, verbose, legalese; a simple “I am sorry” would have been enough. We all go through trials and tribulations; we all have issues; we all struggle for ourselves and our families; you are not the only one. We just don’t want to hear about it. Brevity my friend. Brevity!

• David Lacher, Mr. Quinn and CORRUPTION   14 weeks 2 days ago

I have no facts to offer nor am I familiar with what has transpired past reading the articles. However there is a host of reading in this link which clearly defines what is and what is not ethical.

• David Lacher, Mr. Quinn and CORRUPTION   14 weeks 2 days ago

Martin,

It is hard to argue with ANY of the conclusions you have drawn here.

I suspect anyone with even passing familiarity with Mr. Lacher would struggle to imagine him choosing to resign of his own volition.

So you rightly ask about the position of the Board of Education members on this matter.

If he will not go on his own, I believe the board should hold what amounts to a Confidence Vote so the public can know where board members stand on this issue.

There are two board members up for election this year: Deidre Polow and Jeffrey Hastie. One might hope that these two board members could make a motion to hold such a vote so that we might at least know where they stand.

Any board member unwilling to support such a motion to even discuss the matter would effectively be supporting Mr. Lacher and so voters will be able to draw conclusions from a vote on a motion even if no Confidence Vote is held.

Just so folks know, the board cannot remove another board member; that has to come from the NYSED Commissioner.

However, the board could act by sending a letter signed by a majority of the board asking that Lacher be removed by the Commissioner.

• The Armory Development Belongs to the Veterans   14 weeks 3 days ago

I agree that the Armory Development should be similar to what you have described, and I have spoken many times on that subject since 2007, in public and to City Council members.

Unfortunately our government tends to ignore, if not destroy important aspects of New Rochelle's history. Instead of preservation of our history, our government has often focused on unimportant, ineffective, trivial and ugly cookie-cutter developments such as Forest City, the Avalons, Trump Tower, and the Cedar Street project, just to name a few of the unfortunate developments that New Rochelle has suffered through over the decades.

My father Norman suffered 90% disabilities from his WWII injuries, and within a few weeks of that, his 18 year old brother Burt died at the Battle of the Bulge, only a few months after graduating Albert Leonard High School. Being 63, I have had friends who fought in Vietnam, one of whom wrote the autobiographic book and film ‘Born on the Fourth of July’. I am quite sympathetic to military veterans of all wars.

However, I disagree with your statement that “the Armory Development belongs to the veterans”. Actually, the Armory Development belongs to the People of New Rochelle, most of whom are not veterans.

While it is important to honor all veterans, it is mistaken and counter-productive to advocate that the Armory belongs to veterans, or that our veterans should have primary ownership of the Armory’s development plans. It is a worse mistake, counter-productive and quite partisan, to advocate that Veteran’s organizations should control the Armory or have primary responsibility for the Armory’s development.

As the Armory belongs to the people of New Rochelle, it is important that the people should fully participate in the Armory’s preservation and development. This is pragmatic, as without the support of the majority of the people of New Rochelle, the Armory may well be doomed to destruction or trivialization.

Again, I agree with you, that the Armory should be a cultural center and used as a museum to remind us of New Rochelle’s 325+ years of history. I have been arguing this point for many years, and fear that partisan bickering is irresponsible and counter-productive. Instead, the people of New Rochelle must unite to protect and use this important landmark.

While I applaud the efforts of veterans to preserve the Armory for beneficial and enlightened use, I implore our veterans to not sabotage their own efforts by claiming ownership or chief responsibility for preservation and use of the Armory. I believe that most veterans would agree with me, except for those who unfortunately perceive the Armory as an excuse for partisan politics.

• Serial Tagger Leaving a Trail of BLUR in New Rochelle   14 weeks 4 days ago

Good job Micaela i will check out North ave and around Lawton street.

• 04/25 Coffee and Conversation with New Rochelle Board of Education President David Lacher 9:30 AM   14 weeks 4 days ago

I'm wondering if he will answer your questions Bob about his insurance?

• New Rochelle Police Department Promotes Six   15 weeks 12 hours ago

great work officers well deserved and a long time coming

• New Rochelle Schools Contractor Behind Flag Pole Painting and Asbestos Exposure Low Bidder on 3 of 4 District Contracts   15 weeks 1 day ago

I just don’t understand why so few companies bid on the contracts. But then again, what legitimate company would want to deal with what goes on in The City of New Rochelle School District? Looking at the contracts, I would ask a few questions from the start. First, if the contract for electrical work involves trenching, heavy highway work and building, why don’t they show a need for dumping fees? My question for George R Woods is why is there such a vast difference in the dumping fees for painting? While painting, carpentry, electrical works are different trades, it is dirt, black top and concrete, what’s the difference? I am sure glade I don’t need to dump anything called other when I paint because it is so much more expensive at a cost of $85 to dump. Why it is the same guy’s over and over again? Are they the only companies in the area that do electrical, plumbing, carpentry and painting? Or is it that no other company wants to deal with The City of New Rochelle School District?

• HE'S BAAAACK: New Rochelle Chamber of Commerce Names Bob Marrone as Executive Director   15 weeks 2 days ago

Photobucket

• HE'S BAAAACK: New Rochelle Chamber of Commerce Names Bob Marrone as Executive Director   15 weeks 4 days ago

I agree Anthony. Bob seems to have his priorities straight. Good luck - Starting on Cinco de Mayo seems appropriate.

• HE'S BAAAACK: New Rochelle Chamber of Commerce Names Bob Marrone as Executive Director   15 weeks 6 days ago

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, Great Fit! I'm sure the chamber will prosper with Bob at the helm.

• City of New Rochelle to Hold Hearings on Restrictions on Car Dealers, End of Loose Leaf Pickup and Reduced Traffic Speed on Pinebrook Boulevard   16 weeks 3 days ago

Got Me,

I have to admit, I was one of those that contacted Chuck. I thought it was pretty absurd. Absurd yes, but the way things get done in New Rochelle, very plausible! With what we go through to attempt to get stuff done around here with many departments, I just took it at face value for a stupid request. A roadside farm stand at the end of a driveway on Pinebrook Boulevard was made to be removed because it was too dangerous, tag sales are OK though. Someone fought for Chicken Coops in the north end. I am still trying to figure out how a parking spot for a maintenance vehicle in front of The Huguenot Children’s Library on North Avenue takes two months. In the same area several years ago the city upgraded the North Avenue Street Scape and removed an existing Handi Cap Parking Sign next to Jack’s Friendship Garden and Playground, a park for children with disabilities that could use a Handicap parking spot more than the guy’s cleaning a library. After years of follow up and dancing with the traffic engineer I gave up. He insisted and claimed that a handi cap parking spot there was too dangerous.

There are more stories like this all around New Rochelle. That is why a request for 15 Miles on Pinebrook was not too far-fetched.Next year I will check my calendar.

Good One Bob!

• City of New Rochelle to Hold Hearings on Restrictions on Car Dealers, End of Loose Leaf Pickup and Reduced Traffic Speed on Pinebrook Boulevard   16 weeks 4 days ago

It was like the War of The Worlds radio show all over again.