Recent comments

• New Rochelle DPW Tackles Large Snow Storms...and Critics   26 weeks 3 days ago

Last time I checked, the City Council all says they make decisions based on what is best for the City as a whole not just for their district.

Here is a chance for Barry and Noam to put that to the test.

I am unaware of any argument against a North End Satellite DPW site.

North End residents get better service.

Costs are lower to provide the service so they and everyone else benefits from less spending.

Eliminates waste -- how many miles do these trucks log each year?

Better for the environment -- obviously.

Should New Rochelle Have a Salt Dome? A Few Words With the Salt Guru

Bob,

Haven't you heard that Barry is depression over the condition of the trees at Ward Acres. First, he would like to do away with the geese and then have volunteers cut the vines around the trees. Let's give him time, perhaps a front end loader will be in his future.

All kidding aside, I wonder if the north end would be that opposed to a satellite DPW. Perhaps they do no realize it is an option. We are only hearing from Barry and his narrow minded position on the matter.

For starters, I believe that what I have proposed would have virtually no ACTUAL impact on anyone. For those like Barry whose eyes might be offended by the site of a front end loader...they will just have to get over it.

There are people who do live near that strip -- maybe about 10 houses. But those people chose to live next to Stratton, Pinebrook, the Hutch and the fire station so why should they complain about a small satellite DPW facility that gets used for a few days in the fall and before/after a snow storm. What is that really? Maybe 15 days out of 365.

If that sounds terrible, I believe it is the SAME ARGUMENT that Barry used regarding the Mercedes Dealership.

I put in a call to The Salt Institute, a North American based non-profit trade association dedicated to "advancing the many benefits of salt, particularly to ensure winter roadway safety, quality water and healthy nutrition".

I am hoping to find an expert who can answer the following questions:

1. How do you recommend road salt be stored?

2. Why is it important to store salt in the recommended manner?

3. Roughly speaking, what are the costs of a salt dome able to store 20,000 tons of salt?

I will add an update to the story once I have answers to these questions.

OMG, Bob. Do you dare suggest a dome in the north end? Barry would plotz! He complained about the horrible sight there would be driving down Albert Leonard Drive and seeing a 'dome' over the tennis courts..............can u imagine his reaction to a salt dome????

Sounds like there are a few other things we need -- liquified rock salt and sprayers to coat the roads.

If we do not have a decent salt and we do not have a salt dome I cannot imagine New Rochelle getting these "luxury" items.

I agree with you, Laraine. It's time we stop making the DPW Commissioner the scapegoat. Also....I can't believe we store salt out in the open. What does it take to get a dome? C'mon, City Council......I'm sure you can find the money for that one important item; cut down on the consultants' fees and order a dome.

Sara

Perhaps someone can check me on this but I seem to recall that someone (maybe Lou ) told me that 40% of the salt is lost each year for lack of a salt dome.

BTW, I will add to the article something I had intended to highlight from the chart.

All of the other municipalities in the study have a salt dome. New Rochelle is the only one that does not.

At the last COW meeting, Tergis told the Council that when they were attempting to lend or trade salt to other municipalities it was REJECTED due to the low quality of the salt.

I have made my own recommendation to the City -- make a deal with Larchmont to trade a tax abatement for the Sheldrake Environmental Center which is situated, in part, on New Rochelle property. Here is that article from 2012.

Could a Tax Exemption for Sheldrake Nature Preserve Become Part of a Deal to Add a Leaf Transfer Station and Salt Dome in the North End of New Rochelle?

My idea is that the strip of land on Pinebrook near Stratton could house a satellite DPW site to be a leaf transfer station in the fall and a salt storage facility in the winter. I have to find anyone who can make a cogent argument against this idea except the NIMBY crowd who want fast/better service from DPW but also insist on being services from the entirely opposite end of town.

That attitude impacts all of us because sending trucks back and forth to the far North End to service a very small percentage of New Rochelle residents takes those trucks, effectively, "out of service" for long stretches of time as they spend 20 minutes each way going up and down to New Rochelle.

For people like Noam and Barry, who profess to be "Green" the benefits of reducing the CO2 emissions alone ought to be enough to justify a satellite DPW facility at that location or some similar location (Ward Acres comes to mind)

Of course, Noam and Barry are the same two guys who allow their constituents to shove all their leaves and branches and lawn clippings (along with various fertilizers and chemicals) into the Pinebrook median and thus into the the Pine Brook that runs into Beechmont Lake and then act surprised when the lake is covered in algae each summer.

The mayor admitted that the city yard has been neglected for 10 years in anticipation of development on that property. The same is true for the Armory. What city would do that? Now it seems Alex Tergis is their scapegoat. Well we are wise to the ways of this mayor and city manager. Commissioner Tergis is doing the best with what he has been given and that is not much. It is time city council demand that the basic city services be delivered before we lose another good commissioner.

Similar to what Bob McCaffrey commented, I agree that residents who are more inclined to learn about the workings of their City are also more likely to do their part for their property. There were so few people out shoveling their sidewalks on Thursday that I had no choice but to walk my dog in the middle of the street. Considering that the streets were slush and some only given a one-time pass with the plow, this was a potentially dangerous proposition.

In light of your reporting, Bob, I want to thank Commissioner Tergis and his staff for the work that they did during/after the storm. Did I enjoy sliding (driving) down Union Avenue? No, absolutely not. But this isn't anything new since I moved here a few years back, and now (at least) I have some context as to why that is the case.

What a shame that we are paying for salt that goes bad because we don't have the space or facility to properly house it (enter anything to do with city-owned properties here -- which isn't unique to NR). As Council Member Lou continues to push for a salt dome, I am wondering, does DPW keep the salt covered with a tarp so that the salt doesn't have direct contact with precipitation? I hope the runoff is minimal, because it wouldn't be good for that brine to make its way to our waterways and vegetation.

Mamaroneck, Larchmont, and Scarsdale Highway Departments all "brine" primary and many secondary roads with liquified rock salt the day before a major storm.

Driving around, you see what look like stripes on the roadways long before a snowfall begins.

Using a liquid ice-melter jumpstarts the melting process because salt needs moisture to be effective. Brine doesn’t bounce or blow off the road surface so material is used more efficiently. If the storm is delayed salt residue remains on the road ready to begin work when precipitation begins.

The results are exactly the opposite of New Rochelle, blacktop the day the storm ends, instead of using Quaker Ridge Road as an Olympic bobsled venue.

Good work Bob,

Alex is doing good work with the deck he was dealt! I am glad Alex Tergis the DPW Commissioner gave you the time and openly discussed what he has to face; I believe Alex is doing good work. He came into a DPW Department that was a disaster of miss-management, poor planning and dysfunctional, like many parts of New Rochelle and City Hall.

Yes, if you are from the south or west side of New Rochelle things can be a little/very difficult. You have gotten the short end of the stick for years. We have had several early storms to deal with, subzero temperatures, holidays and I believe we lost a few vehicles due to breakdowns and the fire. Sometimes you have to decide which are more important, Xmas trees, snow, garbage, recycling and or the leaves all at the same time. I fully support the DPW Commissioner because this is something he is working out currently. He can’t make up for the years of prior screw ups over night!

I am not making excuses for the DPW Commissioner, just being realistic. Having an operational background and being active and involved with some people from the city, I am familiar with the obstacles they face. With all the RFP’s that went out from the DPW Department last year, you can see he has a work in progress and that is more than we have had for a very long time, someone who knows what he is doing and likes what he is doing. The monsters of poor management and planning of City Hall can’t be taken apart and repaired overnight.

I would urge residents to give him a call, talk to him yourself and have conversation rather than complaining. Do some of the little things like clean a storm drain, clear out a fire hydrant, and pick up the garbage you walk past rather than leaving it for someone else to pick up. Go back to doing the little things so Alex can work on the bigger problems that he faces. Also attend some Council Meetings get involved urge your friends and neighbors to do the same. While we need to get rid of some/a lot of dead weight in this city, some of the people do a good job and do care.

Good Luck!

More snow on the way!

• BOARD GAMES: Our Schools are Stressed and You Should Be Too   26 weeks 5 days ago

Brian,

It has been TWO budget cycles ago that the board accepted the report from THEIR committee. We published all that. The CAC was my idea so I am very familiar with it.

New Rochelle Board of Education Citizen Budget Committee Recommends Millions in Cost Savings Measures and Presentation Improvements

Those involved have been asking for an accounting from the District of which elements of this report has been adopted (hint: none).

The 2013 "Community" Advisory Committee (they changed the name I gave it in 2012 when I brought this idea forward -- yes, this was my idea).

Community Advisory Committee Report for the 2013-2014 Budget

The 2013 CAC made a number of excellent recommendations but did not feel the need to add anything to the 2012 CAC report beyond calling on the board to adopt all of the recommendations from the preceding report.

In 2013-2014, the board, under the leadership of David Lacher, has chosen to pretend there was never any such thing as Advisory committees on the budget and so there is NO CAC for 2014.

It is a shame because after efforts under Sara Richmond and Chrisanne Petrone to open up the board and get more community involvement, the troglodytes have regained mastery over the board and are dragging it back to the Soviet-style of leadership that has served the district so poorly. I do not have a lot of good things to say about the board but this is one area that I regularly praised Chrisanne and Sara publicly.

Lacher made it clear to me when he was elected as Board President (not a common thing for a board member to have a second go in that position) that he had a MANDATE from the board to end the "transparency", to wit, to stop answering questions from people like me, Amy Ecker, Anna Giordano -- people who regularly come to board meetings to ask questions. To ignore us, to "push back". In other words to shut us up.

What we now see is the fruits of Lacher's "MANDATE" in their refusal to adopt policies from their own budget advisory committee, the shutting down and shutting up any critics of the board, the despicable efforts by Lacher to cover up the Asbestos Exposure Incident at Davis School and so on.

For those who were still not convinced (or even aware) the Lianne Merchant retribution against UCBNR should make clear that the board is a dysfunctional, corrupt group of hacks from the Democratic Party of New Rochelle whose main goal is to flow resources into North End schools, keep those schools as "white" as possible and benefit their property values at the expense of the other 56,000 residents in New Rochelle (there are about 14,000 residents in Districts 5 and 6). The board will tell you that they have a "diverse board".

No. They have token board members to fill THEIR quotas.

There are currently no members of the hispanic community on the board (Chrisanne claims to be hispanic but cannot even speak Spanish and is certainly not "of" the hispanic community).

There are three African-American board members but anyone with eyes can see that they brought on one African-American board member last year (Pam Davis) with an eye towards getting rid of another African-American board member this year (Jeffrey Hastie) so by July they will be back to 2 African-American board members.

In short, there is always 1/3 minority and 2/3 white. This has been the case for decades (and this is actually an improvement when the board what almost entirely white).

But the lack of diversity exists at many levels.

There have been no more than 2 board members at any one time that did not live in residences that were not in the ALMS district (my definition of what really constitutes being "North End"). Up until recently there was just one.

There are 2 men and 7 women.

There are 8 Democrats, 1 independent, and (surprise) no Republicans.

I'm not sure about religion (4 Jews, 3 Catholics, 2 Protestants?)

In any case, what you can see is that although the board does not reflect the demographics of the City of New Rochelle is does reflect the demographics of the North End. It reminds me of New Yorkers view of the rest of the country in that old New York magazine cover.

And this is by CHOICE of the board which has effective control of itself, of who gets on the board, and has for decades.

Over the past 5 years, we have already had a variety of independent sources express their views that there is something wrong in our schools system (arrests by the NRPD, arrests by the District Attorney, County Health finding NewRo cafeterias the dirtiest in Westchester, ongoing DOJ investigation, ongoing DOL investigation, etc.)

Earlier this month, Moody’s put the district on negative credit watch from its current Aa rating.

Now we have the NYS Comptroller finding that New Rochelle is on a very short of list of the least fiscally stable school districts in New York State AND the only District in Westchester County on the list of stressed schools.

When you are the ONLY such district in the entire County you cannot blame that on GENERAL conditions. That says something about YOU not about everyone. Even Mount Vernon was not on the list! How far have things fallen when our financial situation is worse than Mount Vernon?

And the district's response?

Meaningless drivel, as Adam has amply demonstrated.

The statement from the district ignores the FACT that the district has been in financial free fall for years. And they have been warned, so they either know and don't care or are too financially illiterate to understand.

Seriously, when your CFO tells you all is well and the credit rating agencies and the state government are ringing the alarm bells, who do you believe? Does this even give board members pause?

The community needs to understand that critics like myself do not WANT to see the school district become insolvent or taken over by the State of New York but that is the path we have been warning about for 5 years and which is so apparent that even Democrat Tom DiNapoli is ringing the alarm bells.

If you are so dumb to believe the very people (board members) who are screwing up running the district when they say that they are doing a “good job” then I suppose you get what you deserve. But, the’s too simple. The people who are supporting the board (mostly affluent, North End Dems) are also those that have the most options (move away, private/parochial schools) and so are impacted least.

These are the same people who rail against charter schools and their supposed love of diversity and public education and yet live in the 10804, 10538 and 10583 zip codes, among the whitest zip codes in Westchester.

I will say it again, there are people living in a WHITE ENCLAVE who THINK they live in a diverse community. Don’t believe me? Google the 2010 U.S. Census and then call me a liar.

They want to tell you how much they love living in a City with lots of black and hispanic residents but would not be caught dead in downtown New Rochelle. As a for instance, Alvin told me that the vast majority of his patrons at Alvin & Friends are from Larchmont. These are people who have little but rhetorical connection to the rest of the City. They even have their own Little League.

You live in the North End, and think I’m wrong?

Take this challenge.

Ever shopped at the stores at Quaker Ridge Road or Golden Horseshoe?

Next time you are there, stand at the door of the grocery store for 10 minutes and count how many people of color you see leaving the store with bags of groceries. If you see more than one person who is African-American or Hispanic call me so I can come to take a photo of this rare event.

Why does this matter? Why do I care?

After all, I am white, I live in the ALMS district, my kids have benefited from the AP, Honors and language programs. My oldest daughter ran the NRHS newspaper, my youngest son is on the Science Olympiad team, my youngest daughter is taking Latin, my oldest son was accepted at Notre Dame and did very well throughout college at a top 20 university. My wife works for the district.

It matters for the same reason the destruction wrought on New York City by Robert Moses mattered. Anyone who has read the Power Broker knows how Moses was lauded as a hero during his lifetime until that book came out when he was in 90's and the author, Robert Caro, laid bare the myth and showed that Moses and spent decades hoarding public funds for his pet projects to the detriment of everything else to the point that New York City was driven into bankruptcy, social order disintegrated and the schools started to (literally) fall apart at the seams. The book also showed him to be a profound racist who designed his “public” amenities to exclude poor blacks and actually mocked them in some of the projects he built. Read the book if you don’t know what I am talking about.

That is the course we have been on in New Rochelle for many years.

We have a small segment of New Rochelle — largely affluent/white, sucking up and controlling ALL of the public money (by controlling the School Board and City Council) and then apportioning it out in an unbalanced way to the benefit of that same segment. The City Council to some extent but the Board of Ed to a large extent; the school taxes dwarf the city tax; schools are 66% of the tax bill but 80% of the money collected by New Rochelle taxing entities (I am excluding the County).

You will hear board members and their apologists tell you that funds in New Rochelle are apportioned out equally across all schools.

They are not.

Yes, all the FUSE members are paid based on a contract that does not track to a particular school. There are other ways in which the money IS apportioned out regardless of school.

Of course, that's the case. I am not saying that the South End schools get ZERO DOLLARS. This is red herring argument that is ALWAYS trotted out.

My answer to that is this:

Why is the Special Education budget reported at a lump sum, district level?

Those dollars could just as easily be tracked to each school based on number of special education staff at each school and related support, services and outside providers, tracked by student. Right?

Here is a highly simplistic accounting to make my point (I would LOVE to get real numbers but they are hidden in the budget!)

About 10% of the students in New Rochelle are Special Ed (that is in line with national figure).

So, on a budget of $250mm you could call that $25 mm for Special Ed on a cost accounting basis. Not really but stay with me.

There are 11 school buildings in New Rochelle plus BOCES but let's simplify this for a moment.

Do you really believe that for 10 schools that $25 mm is apportioned out evenly at $2.5 mm per school?

Now, if we ever did get real numbers we COULD run these numbers. I am highly confident that the North End schools get far more Special Education money than South End schools and that matters not only in cash terms but in student performance and changing lives (children who are not diagnosed or who are not supported are often really robbed of achieving in their lifetime).

I can cite other examples but the net effect is that a disproportionate amount of funds flow to the North End.

Compounding this (and I'm not sure what you do about this one) is that the North End PTAs and other ad hoc parent groups, far more involved in their kids schools, raise money for all manner of enrichment programs, trips, equipment and so forth. Over time, all of this parent fundraising creates even wider discrepancies between the educational opportunities in New Rochelle.

This is a point at which you would find the greatest hypocrisy -- many of the same people who tell you they oppose charter schools, cherish diversity and are the champions of public education -- would scream bloody murder if the board adopted a policy that any funds raised by one PTA would be put into a common pool of money and apportioned out evenly to all of the PTAs.

At the recent ALMS Superintendent Search Input Session a number of North End parents made my point for me in their remarks.

One woman talked about how her child went to Ward and that he did not get busing services, he walked to school - information that was apropos to nothing — and ended by saying “We have Diversity in the North End”.

By her description she lives in the 10804. Her zip code is 82% white! And she thinks she lives in a Diverse area? Yikes!

If such a PTA common fund was brought to be, you would certainly find that all those notions of "equity" would be tossed aside in a heartbeat. It is so unthinkable you will never even hear a board member mention it.

I am not blaming parents for placing their own children ahead of everyone else's children but don't drop the "it takes a village line" one minute and roar like a Mama or Papa bear protecting a young cub.

So there is my rant for the day.

Back to shoveling snow!

• United Citizens for a Better New Rochelle Responds to Talk of the Sound Report on Board of Ed VP Lianne Merchant   26 weeks 5 days ago

BOE, Typical knee jerk responses with more back peddling and supposed misunderstandings!

AS I stated in my other post, some of The Board of Education members are afraid to see what happened with The Mayor and Forest City Ratner’s Echo Bay Development Project. Protect yourself at all costs, that is what desperate people do when they feel entitled and are losing their hold. They don’t want to see the same thing happen to the inner circle of the Board of Education. They fear the community gaining strength and a voice; they continue to use the exact tactics that brought down the Forest City Project.

Because United Citizens for a Better New Rochelle is a non-partisan advocacy group with members who represent a diverse cross-section of concerned New Rochelle residents, they/ we will prevail where they fail. For a group centered on education, they are afraid of education considering UCBNR's mission is to inform and engage the community in fostering economic growth and prosperity. The public is learning more and more about the ways of these people. Now that we see more people from the north end of New Rochelle fighting this fight, there is no longer a divide by demographics. There is strength in unity and that is what has begun to happen in New Rochelle for the first time, UNITY! It is just a matter of time before the walls of their little kingdom supported by taxpayer money will come tumbling down.

Unity for the Community!

P.S.
    Why do we get called at 11:30 AM for a 12:00 PM early dismissal? Why do we get a call at 9:30AM for a reminder to parents that there is no bus service for the late start? Why wasn’t this message left at 5:30AM when we received the reminder for the late start? Not everyone knows the plan because we have never really had many late starts before.

• BOARD GAMES: Our Schools are Stressed and You Should Be Too   26 weeks 6 days ago

Adam -

I am concerned about the solvency of the New Rochelle Board of Education, and about the maintaining and improving the quality of public education.

What are the recommendations that could have saved the School District tens of millions of dollars in recent years, that you state were made by which two advisory committees to the Board of Education?

How would those recommendations affect maintaining and improving the quality of public education in NR?

• New Rochelle School Board Veep Lianne Merchant Retaliates Against UCBNR For "Single-Handedly Bringing Down" Noam Bramson and "Killing Echo Bay"   26 weeks 6 days ago

New Rochelle’s networks of elite are starting to sweat!

Did you think the reactions would be any different from the inside elite and the old boys network? This is what we need in a New Superintendent, someone that will not put up with the past follies of the school district and school board. We need someone with a pair that is willing to take us in a new and better direction.

They are afraid to see what happened with The Mayor and Forest City Ratner’s Echo Bay Development Project. They fear a community pulled together and the weaknesses and poor planning that finally brought the project down. Sorry, but we have not killed off any possibility for any meaningful waterfront development from any bona-fide developer for the next 10 years. That time has already been wasted on a failed project. With the changes we have seen because of the rallying of the residents and the people of UCBNR, we can now open the process up and grow as a community for a better New Rochelle. The same community and processes that UCBNR and the other residents are looking to protect during the New Superintendent search.

It was not only UCBNR that single handedly brought down The Mayor and Forest City Ratner’s Echo Bay Development Project. UCBNR is not a single group, they are a gathering of many different groups of people with expertise, a variety of experience, with many different backgrounds and they are backed by many Neighborhood Associations from all areas of The City of New Rochelle. That is why UCBNR and the many others were so successful. Also New Rochelle Board of Education Vice President Lianne Merchant must credit the strength of the members of The New Rochelle City Council that finally stood up to Forest City Ratner and The Mayors bullying tactics, The same bullying tactics that are used in the school district and on The New Rochelle’s School Board. We have all seen the same games of bullying, favoritism, cronyism and back peddling politics played out over the years, more so now that Talk of the Sound avails the people an eye and a voice.

Lianne Merchant and the others that except and continue to use the same tactics are afraid they are losing hold of their control of their little club. They will no longer have their perceived strength in the community that helps to foster their personal and business lives. The Ego of status and self-importance is a strange thing and has begun to bring down even the strongest of politicians and political insiders. Just open a newspaper and read the conspiracy of the day. Look at all the problems that have been exposed right here in New Rochelle and in The New Rochelle school system. These are facts, not accusations. We need a new sheriff in town to clean up the mess of the past.

To show support for the children, neighbors and especially UCBNR it should be on everyone’s calendars to attend the last meeting at The Whitney Auditorium of the New Rochelle High School, 265 Clove Road, New Rochelle, New York, on Wednesday January 22, 2014, at 7:00 pm.

“Common Sense for the Common Good”.

• Talk of the Sound's 10,000th Tweet! And the Winner Is...   27 weeks 3 hours ago

In fact, 4 years ago TOS was celebrating the milestone of 100,000 visitors. I know this for a fact cause it was me. Click HERE for a look back at the future. The same as it ever was, TOS is still the go to site for NR and it just keeps getting better. Good job everybody! Now get back to work.

(if it turns out that I'm the 2 millionth visit will I get one of those Talk of the Sound coffee mugs?)

• 02/02 Norman Rockwell To Be Subject Of Author Talk At Library   27 weeks 1 day ago

Norman Rockwell is one of the USA's most important artists and he is very associated with New Rochelle. His first wife was from NR, and his in-laws, the O'Connors, still lived in New Rochelle in the late 1970's. I met them about a year before Norman Rockwell died, and they told me that he was blind and infirm.

Rockwell's studio was in the artist building located on the corner of Division & Main, one block from the library.

The main New Rochelle Library's Children's Room has a large, original painting specifically created for it by Norman Rockwell.

• City of New Rochelle Narrowly Misses Classification as "Susceptible to Fiscal Stress" in New York State Comptroller Fiscal Stress Monitoring System   27 weeks 3 days ago

"Sustainable development, Smart Growth, and Transit Oriented Development," will lead the city out of financial trouble. At least, that is what Bramson would like you to think. In fact, sustainable development has been draining municipal budgets since its onset, and it has not made a dent in the protection of the environment. It is costing billions to implement nationally supposedly to reduce CO2 emissions which are being blamed for global warming. In fact, if we were to cease using all fossil fuels and return to the stone age, we would be lucky to cut the earth's temperature by 1 degree. If Bramson weren't so consumed by this costly notion of sustainable development and instead focus his attention on bringing industry and retail to NR, the city would be doing a lot better financially.

• Support The New Rochelle Lightning Youth Hockey Organization!   27 weeks 3 days ago

Bob, thanks for posting this. It should be a great event. If you have children looking to experience ice hockey for free make sure to sign up.

Afterwards, The New Rochelle Lightning Youth Hockey Coaches will be skating against NY Ranger Alumni. Sort of reminds me of the days of Donkey Basketball at NRHS.

Seriously, this is a great way to support youth hockey while enjoying a fun hockey game. Having coached with the NR Lightning Hockey Club for numerous years they were kind enough to extend me an invite to play in this. I will be packing up the car to make the trek back to New Ro from DC area. I am looking forward to it as well. We all hope to see you there.

New Rochelle Lightning (Youth)Hockey Club www.nryh.net

• City of New Rochelle Narrowly Misses Classification as "Susceptible to Fiscal Stress" in New York State Comptroller Fiscal Stress Monitoring System   27 weeks 4 days ago

Brian,

Take a breath! Now read the article again…slowly.

Neither the article nor the headline says that the City of New Rochelle was classified as "financially stressed".

Therefore, I am not sure why you would be taking issue with something that was NOT said AS IF it had been said.

What the article DOES NOTE is that at 44.2%, the City BARELY MISSED the cut-off for the "Susceptible to Stress" category.

All of this is entirely accurate.

As for the City doing WELL…being just a few tenths of a point from making ANY of these three categories is not an indication that New Rochelle’s current financial situation is in “remarkably good health”.

I have been communicating with DiNapoli and his staff about all of this. I can tell you that the Comptroller’s office does not think New Rochelle’s score indicates “remarkably good health” or anything close to it.

It is misleading to say that “the city government of New Rochelle clearly was NOT designated as financially stressed at all” because (a) I did not say this; (b) the score the City got, according to the Comptroller, IS something to be concerned about.

City Council members, the City Manager, the Mayor and the Rating Agencies are ALL concerned about it — especially as the major indicator tracked is Fund Balance and that has been a source of concern for all of them as has been discussed over the past few budget cycles. As Chuck noted, it has been part of his annual budget message for the past several years.

I communicated with the City Manager on this and quoted him in the article. His statement speaks for itself.

I am not sure why you think the “graph shows the city government of New Rochelle was more financially solvent than the average NYS large downstate city”. The only graph I see is one that indicates to my eyes that New Rochelle’s score is almost exactly the same as the average for “NYS large downstate city” and higher than “Cities” and “Mid-Hudson Regional Cities”.

Finally, if you look through the three categories or use the drop down database linked in the articles, you will see that New Rochelle has one of the worst scores in Westchester so while there have been global, national and regional economic issues, the data indicates that New Rochelle is faring worse that municipalities in our area.

I am hoping to interview the Comptroller about all of this soon and we can see what he has to say.

I do not understand why the school district and municipal/county categories are different but I would note that for SCHOOLS, the cut-off for "Susceptible to Stress" is 25% and “Moderately Stressed” is 45%. Again, I do not yet know why the ranges are different but it does indicate to me that a score above 25% is a cause for some concern.

According to the NYS comptroller's graph and report, the city government of New Rochelle clearly was NOT designated as financially stressed at all, and the graph shows the city government of New Rochelle was more financially solvent than the average NYS large downstate city.

As New Rochelle is NYS's 7th largest city, and Westchester's 2nd largest, and considering that the American economy, since 2008 has been worse than at any time the 1930's Great Depression, New Rochelle current financial situation is in remarkably good health.

However, the New Rochelle Board of Education's financial health, evidently is not in the good shape our city government is in. I believe this is due to too many tax reductions for so-called 'development'. So although our city government is financially healthy, it appears that our city government's policies have led to our Board of Education being slightly financially stressed.

Of course, much of our financial problems are mostly due to poorly regulated Wall Street's greed and incompetence leading to national and international economic problems from the bursting of the Internet Bubble in 2000-2001 and the of the real Estate Bubble in 2007-2008.

There is no one under the age of 74, who has lived through an American economy as stressed as the period beginning in 2008. All things considered, the City of New Rochelle is remarkably solvent.

However, due to stressed national and world economies, our taxpayers are financially stressed, and therefore the NR government must cease providing tax reductions for new 'developments', and must focus on building up revenues from sales taxes.

In particular, NR should cease advocating increasing its residential population, and instead focus on expanding its commercial base and increasing culture and night life in its downtown area South from North Ave Sickles Aves to Clinton St, and on US Rt 1 from Weyman Ave east to the Larchmont Border.

Increasing our population only further stresses our Board of Education budget and quality of public education. In comparison, increasing our commerce leads to greater municipal and Board of Education solvency.

• Public Hearing Tonight on Motor Vehicle Dealership Zoning Changes: Time To Rid New Rochelle of Parasitic Car Dealers   27 weeks 4 days ago

Status quo must change before it is too late!

New Rochelle must act to bring these car dealerships under control. The problems with local car dealerships are nothing new, just no one ever paid attention to them or cared enough to work on behalf of the residents of the area and New Rochelle taxpayers. They were seen as an economic driver for the city along with the other developers in New Rochelle, but at what cost to residents of the area and New Rochelle taxpayers? We saw this during the building of Pepe Mercedes Benz. At times The New Rochelle Planning Board raised questions and concerns but somehow thing get through any way?

Despite local laws and years of complaints, car dealers in New Rochelle have violated existing zoning laws without fear of enforcement. Anyone who lives in New Rochelle can tell you this, but for some reason it continues unabated. There is always some reason excuse or loophole that allows them to take over the neighborhoods around them.

As with much of the development in New Rochelle, The process is flawed. Just another example where the result of all these developments continues to be confrontation, debate, petitions, hearings and a lack of true input by the community. The community should be put first at all times. It is time The New Rochelle City Council as a whole to listen to the people they serve.

New Rochelle has had a detailed Comprehensive Plan since 1996; we never hear any references to that plan. The only visions and ideas we have seen over the last several years are those of others and not The Citizens of New Rochelle.

I am hoping that the changes we have begun to see on The New Rochelle City Council lately will begin to correct the course of business for New Rochelle and signal a new beginning for all of New Rochelle. With the New Year comes a chance for a new direction towards a better brighter future for all of New Rochelle.

“Common Sense for the Common Good”.

• Public Hearing Tonight on Motor Vehicle Dealership Zoning Changes: Time To Rid New Rochelle of Parasitic Car Dealers   27 weeks 5 days ago

A.G. Schneiderman Announces $135k Settlement With Westchester Auto Dealer Over Bogus Fee To Customers

New Rochelle Toyota Charged Purchasers Of Pre-Owned Vehicles A $499 “Administrative Fee” In Addition To The Purchase Price Of The Vehicle Without Providing Extra Services Or Benefits

Schneiderman: My Office Is Committed To Stopping Deceptive Auto Dealer Practices

NEW YORK - Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced today that his office has reached a settlement with Westchester auto dealer N.R. Automotive, Inc., d/b/a New Rochelle Toyota, which was adding a bogus $499 “administrative fee” to the purchase price of used vehicles. No extra services or benefits were provided to customers in return for payment of the fee.

"By charging a bogus, illusory administrative fee, New Rochelle Toyota was deceiving its customers and creating an unfair marketplace," Attorney General Schneiderman said. "My office will continue to monitor this company's business practices, as well as those of other auto dealers, to ensure that they are fair and honest."

Pursuant to the settlement, New Rochelle Toyota will repay a total of $86,826 to 174 customers who were charged the bogus administrative fee. The dealership has also agreed to reform its advertising practices and to pay $50,000 in costs and penalties to the state.

Between January 1, 2012, and July 31, 2012, New Rochelle Toyota, located at 47 Cedar Street, added a $499 “administrative fee” to the purchase price of used vehicles. The fee was pre-printed on the sales agreement used by the dealership and was located in the price column, near other pre-printed fees and taxes that consumers are required to pay when purchasing a vehicle. Thus, it appeared to consumers that the “administrative fee” was mandatory and non-negotiable.

However, the “administrative fee” was not a mandatory charge and was simply tacked onto the negotiated purchase price of the vehicle.

The Attorney General’s investigation also revealed that New Rochelle Toyota repeatedly engaged in false and deceptive advertising, such as fine print and footnotes that contradicted the principal message of the advertisements; advertised sales without specifying the vehicles which were being offered at reduced prices, and advertising leased vehicles for “$0 Down” without disclosing that payments were actually due at the inception of the lease. New Rochelle Toyota also falsely claimed that is has an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau, when its rating is actually an “F.”