NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- 15 people were taken to area hospitals after a Carbon Monoxide leak at a private residence in New Rochelle, NY.
"12 people were taken to Jacoci Medical Center and 3 were taken to Westchester Medical Center," said New Rochelle Police Sergeant Matthew Brady.
The incident occurred at about 3:45 a.m.
New Rochelle Police and New Rochelle firefighers were called to the scene Yonkers Emergency Services Unit was also called. A request was made for two medivac helicopters but the requests was denied due to the weather. Con Edison was later called to the scene.
The home was filled with guests staying over for the Passover Holiday. The family are members of a local synagogue. A member of Young Israel of New Rochelle told Talk of the Sound that everyone was in good condition. Two of the family members had been released from the hospital and were already home later that morning. The family was awakened by a carbon monoxide alarm.
"This type of incident underscores the need for carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke detectors in the home," said New Rochelle Fire Chief Louis DiMiglio. "Had it not been for the CO detector activation, the outcome could have been very different."