2 Alarm House Fire Leaves Family Homeless in New Rochelle, 3 Firefighters Injured

ShareThis

VIDEO BELOW

NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- Three New Rochelle firefighters were injured combating a fast-moving fire at a single family home in the North End of New Rochelle along Wilmot Road between Iona Preparatory School and the Hutchison River Parkway.

One firefighter suffered burns on his wrists, a second on his neck and a third had smoke inhalation. They were all taken to Montefiore Medical Center in New Rochelle. There were no civilian injuries.

New Rochelle Fire Department responded to a 2-Alarm house fire at 40 Northwood Circle in New Rochelle, NY.

As firefighters arrived on scene, flames were already pouring out through the roof and out the back of the house.

"It got a good hold before we got here," said New Rochelle Fire Chief Lou DiMiglio. "We ended up chasing after it because it was way ahead of us".

The fire spread to the garage as heavy smoke filled the neighborhood and blew onto the nearby Hutchison River Parkway, near Wilmot Road and Iona Prep.

The call came into the fire department at about 3:36 PM. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire was fully engaged.

"We had about thirty guys on the scene, that includes some off-duty people," said DiMiglio.

The fire was declared under control at 4:40 PM but not before the fire caused serious damage to the house.

No one was in the home at the time of the fire. The owner, who neighbors say is 7 months pregnant, was out grocery shopping and returned with her family to find the house on fire.

Initial reports were that no one was home at the time of the fire but DiMiglio later received reports that the homeowner was inside the house when she smelled smoke. She took her young child and moved her car away from the house. The initial call to 911 came from across the street at 35 Northwood Circle.

A cat was heard crying in the laundry room and rescued by firefighters.

At the last major house fire at 12 The Boulevard, firefighters rescued a dog that hid under a bed for two hours before being found on the second floor of the house.

Mutual aid was provided by Greenville and Yonkers fire departments.

Commenting on this Blog entry is closed.

Recent Comments

John Imburgia | Very sorry to...
Jim Maisano | Thanks for...
Jim Maisano | Thanks
Robert Cox | Right. Fixed
Ken Lewis | So I think you...
John Imburgia | Guess one...
Robert Cox | Chuck appears...
John D'Alois | I Guess New...
Ken Lewis | Advice to...
John Imburgia | I always love...

Google Translate