NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- The New Rochelle Public Library is expected to re-open on Wednesday, February 18th after it was closed unexpectedly after a pipe burst as result of extreme cold.
The building was closed because a burst pipe was discovered early in the morning. Although no materials or equipment were damaged, flooding did impact the library’s meeting room and theater. The repairs are expected to take at least several days.
School vacation programs scheduled for this week have been relocated.to the event space at Recologie, a restaurant, gallery and boutique located at 48 Lawton Street, diagonally across from the library.
The following is a complete list of vacation week programs and their locations:
- Wednesday, February 18 at 11:00 am: Film Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin…and More Stories for Young Musicians. For children ages 3 – 5 years. LOCATION: Children’s Room, Main Library.
- Wednesday, February 18 at 2:00 pm: Live Performance of Peter and the Wolf with the Lehman Woodwinds Quintet. For children ages 5 & older. LOCATION: Recologie, 48 Lawton Street.
- Thursday, February 19 at 11:00 am: Workshop for the Younger Set: Chinese New Year Crafts and Refreshments. For children ages 4 & older. LOCATION: Huguenot Children’s Library, 794 North Avenue, (registration required: 632-8954).
- Thursday, February 19 at 2:00 pm: Cooking Workshop: African-American Foodways. For ages 5 & up. LOCATION: Recologie, 48 Lawton Street.
- Friday, February 20 at 10:30 am: Live Performance for the Younger Set: Singer, Songwriter & Entertainer Zev Haber. For children ages 3 – 7 years. TENTATIVE LOCATION: Recologie, 48 Lawton Street.
- Friday, February 20 at 2:00 pm: Adventure in Gardening Workshop – Sprouting Seeds. TENTATIVE LOCATION: Recologie, 48 Lawton Street.
These free programs are made possible by the Friends of the New Rochelle Public Library and the Partnership for the Huguenot Children’s Library. For more information, please call (914) 632-8254.
UPDATE from NRPL 2/23: "First the Bad News: Sometime overnight during the record-breaking cold of February 16th-17th, a pipe along an exterior wall of NRPL's meeting room burst. Gallons of water poured into the meeting room, theater and lobby before the calamity was discovered. Thanks to the New Rochelle Fire Department, our staff, and an emergency service firm, the water was quickly pumped-out and dryers operated around-the-clock. Some flooring, walls and furniture will need replacement. Although insurance will cover most financial costs, some programs and services have been impacted.
The Good News: No equipment or materials were damaged. There is no basement under the affected area. We had to close the library only one day, February 17th. All school vacation programs except for one have taken place, thanks to our neighbor at Recologie, who allowed several performances and workshops to take place in their lovely event space. With the rental of a dance floor, this weekend's performances will take place in the now totally dry theater. As restoration work ensues next week, we make every attempt to maintain our regular level of programs and services.
Final Note: A huge "Thank You" to the New Rochelle Fire Department and Recologie. We also thank all our patrons for your on-going cooperation and support!"