How to File a Complaint Against School Authorities or for Actions at a Board Meeting


NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- Any person considering themselves aggrieved by an action taken at a school district meeting or by school authorities may appeal to the Commissioner of Education under Education Law §§ 310 and 306. An Appeal to the Commissioner is often referred to as a "310 Appeal".

A sample form is here.

Education Law §310 provides for the Commissioner to conduct a review. In addition, Education Law §306 allows the Commissioner of Education to remove a trustee, member of a board of education and certain other school officers for willful misconduct or neglect of duty.

Procedures for the presentation and defense of such appeals and for the conduct of proceedings for the removal of school officials are contained in regulations of the Commissioner of Education.

General Information
Education Law and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Appeals and Other Proceedings Before the Commissioner
Instructions and Sample Forms for Filing an Appeal (for Petitioners not Represented by an Attorney)
Questions and Answers
Decisions of the Commissioner of Education (1991 to Present)

Commenting on this Blog entry is closed.