A reader sent along this little tidbit with regard to the ongoing exposure incident.
The AHERA regulations require public school districts and non-profit schools to:
- Perform an original inspection to determine whether asbestos-containing materials are present and then re-inspect asbestos-containing material in each school every three years
- Develop, maintain, and update an asbestos management plan and keep a copy at the school
- Provide yearly notification to parent, teacher, and employee organizations on the availability of the school's asbestos management plan and any asbestos-related actions taken or planned in the school
Designate a contact person to ensure the responsibilities of the public school district or the non-profit school are properly implemented
- Perform periodic surveillance of known or suspected asbestos-containing building material
- Ensure that trained and licensed professionals perform inspections and take response actions
Provide custodial staff with asbestos-awareness training
As a long-time parent in this district I cannot recall ever getting any "yearly notification" of the school's asbestos management plan and any asbestos-related actions taken or planned in the school".
Are there any reader/parents out there who DID receive such a notification? I would like to see a copy.