Iona College to Launch BS, BA and MS Programs in Computer Science with Concentration in Cyber Security, in Fall 2014

ShareThis

NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- Iona College announced the launch of undergraduate and graduate programs in computer science with a concentration in cyber security, in the fall 2014. The concentration will be offered for the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts and the Master of Science degrees. The cyber security programs will provide students with fundamental cyber security skills, theoretical as well as hands-on experience. Students are exposed to new research ideas across many cyber security areas including software security, web application security, mobile security, networking security, database security, and cryptography.

“This curriculum was developed to meet the emerging needs of business, government and healthcare industries in a field that is positioned for continued growth,” said Robert Schiaffino, Ph.D., chair and professor of computer science at Iona College.

According to the Bureau of Labor of Statistics, 45% of computer security jobs include the federal government and healthcare industry. The remaining 55% are divided among telecommunications, finance, insurance, management of companies and enterprises, computer systems design and related services and self-employment. The Abell Foundation & CyberPoint International LLC states that most highly demanded job positions in cyber security are: application security engineer, network engineer, Web analytics developer, vulnerability engineer, and Internet security analyst.

Schiaffino stated, “Today, cyber security is one of the most sought-after skills in technology, and the trend is going to continue for the anticipated future.” In a recent Best Jobs article on the CNN Money Web site, cyber security is among the top 10 fastest growing careers in America, with a 27 percent growth rate. “Any industry—from retail sales to hospitals to power plants—is dependent on information technology (IT), and cyber security is essential to ensuring that IT assets are protected,” added Schiaffino.

Prospective students seeking more information about the cyber security programs should contact Dr. Robert Schiaffino at rschiaffino@iona.edu or 914-633-2338.

Commenting on this Blog entry is closed.

Recent Comments

John Imburgia | Very sorry to...
Jim Maisano | Thanks for...
Jim Maisano | Thanks
Robert Cox | Right. Fixed
Ken Lewis | So I think you...
John Imburgia | Guess one...
Robert Cox | Chuck appears...
John D'Alois | I Guess New...
Ken Lewis | Advice to...
John Imburgia | I always love...

Google Translate