Pelham Police Surveillance Ends in New Rochelle With Car On Wall, Suspect On Foot

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Pelham Police Surveillance Ends in New Rochelle With Car On Wall, Suspect On Foot

December 12, 2012 - 16:18

NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- A car chase in New Rochelle ended with the suspect's vehicle crashed upon a wall in front of a house on Franklin Avenue.

The chase began after detectives from the Pelham Police department, surveilling a stolen vehicle in New Rochelle, called New Rochelle police requesting that a marked New Rochelle police car pull the suspect over. When New Rochelle police sought to stop the suspect, he took off and a chase ensued. In the crash, the car ended up on top of the five-foot wall as the suspect fled on foot. The suspect was captured nearby.

The suspect was taken to Sound Shore Medical Center with lacerations to the face.

UPDATE: The suspect's name is Jermaine McCleod, 21, of 110 Horton Avenue in New Rochelle, NY. The car was taken from a woman from Pelham with whom McLeod has an undefined relationship.

New Rochelle Police Detective Captain Joseph Schaller told Will David of the Journal News that the incident began around 9 a.m. New Rochelle police observed a 2011 Honda reported stolen by the Pelham Police Department. It was at that point that Pelham detectives put the car under surveillance. McCleod was observed by Pelham detectives returning to the vehicle around 2 p.m. When a Pelham detective attempted to stop the suspect, McCleod drove off, the detective called New Rochelle police and a chase ensued.

During the chase, the vehicle McCleod was driving may have reached speeds as high as 70 m.p.h. sources say.

David is reporting that McCleod was charged with "fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, a felony, resisting arrest, reckless driving, obstruction of governmental administration and unlawfully fleeing a police officer, all misdemeanors."

Raw video of police on North Avenue responding to the chase, below.