There were no injuries after at apartment building at 51 Winthrop Avenue in New Rochelle, NY was evacuated due to heavy smoke caused by a fire in the trash chute leading to the trash compactor in the building.
The New Rochelle Fire Department was called to the scene shortly after 3:00 p.m.
"Someone lit something on fire and dropped it down the chute"," said NRFD Captain Andy Sandor. "When we rolled up there was heavy smoke on the roof".
Sandor said the fire was in the trash chute between the first floor and the basement.
"It was tough to get at. "In cases like these we bring an old-fashioned ball and chain to the top and drop it straight down from the roof to the basement. It knocks what every is burning down and then we put water on it."
Smoke spread throughout the entire building. There were reports of smoke all the way up to the 5th and 6th floor.
"We had alarms, people self-evacuated, there were no injuries," said Sandor, adding "Smoke is deadly…the smoke is what gets people".