Posted on The City of New Rochelle web site: October 23, 2013
Waterfront Gateway Design Competition Enters Final Phase.
The innovative design competition to re-imagine New Rochelle’s Echo Bay waterfront area has entered its final phase with the selection of four semi-finalists. The architectural designs (see list below) will be on display on the first floor at City Hall beginning on October 24th and will be available for viewing through November 15th during business hours, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Launched this past June in partnership with The Architect’s Newspaper, the three-part Waterfront Gateway Design Competition focuses on the development of a 2.92 acre plot overlooking Long Island Sound's Echo Bay, currently home to a former naval armory. In all, 28 transformative design submissions were received for Phase I, which were then reviewed and analyzed through blind process by a distinguished panel comprised of industry professionals, local residents, and a representative of the veteran community. Phase II narrowed the submissions to twelve proposals. With the selection of four semi-finalists, the final phase of the competition has begun. The semi-finalists are as follows:
• CDR Studio
• Hariri & Hariri Architects
• SHoP Architects
The proposals were reviewed and judged according to six basic principles:
1. Encourage redevelopment of this unique property and highlight its distinctive waterfront features and the structural elements of its significant buildings;
2. Activate a currently underutilized site for the benefit of the public’s enjoyment;
3. Complement and enhance the ongoing revitalization of the New Rochelle shoreline;
4. Honor the site’s heritage;
5. Exhibit architectural excellence; and
6. Provide development feasibility.
“The proposals are unique and dynamic, each offering a glimpse into a wonderful future for this significant site,” said Development Commissioner Luiz Aragon. “We invite the public to come to City Hall, and view them firsthand. Leave a comment in the Suggestion Box, we welcome your input.”
Detailed information about the competition can be found at:
The winner will be announced in December.